Friday, August 19, 2011

Nickerson State Park 2011-9th family camping reunion



If you've read last years blog, you read all about Nickerson State Park. I'm here again with my family for our camping reunion and loving it. the cape is one of those lovable places.

today my niece , nephew and the two kids and I went for a bike trail ride, 11 mile from our campsite to the end. passing through cranberry bogs, Lakes, canopies of scrub oaks, so cool,. It feels so good to live outdoors, camping. I am sure Native Americans looked askance at the early settlers who lived in wooden boxes and swept their floor , spending hours being clean. here we play for most of the day and squeeze some work in. the play can be swimming in the crystal clear ponds, canoeing or kayaking. or it could be going to the National sea shore. I love to go at around 5 pm when the sun looses its strength. I do yoga on the beach, or take long walks. sometimes, i put my face in the water and taste the salty brine.
dear friends,I miss you all. but every summer I must leave Hotlanta and seek out the coolness of New England. I have also decided to seek the warmth of Florida or Latin america this winter when the Georgia temp drips to the low twenties.
So I purchased a 1991 Toyota Dolphin in Rhode Island. It was a huge leap of faith as I know little of truck campers. Mine has a V6 engine, a one ton chasseand only 47K. It has all the amenities of an RV but is only 21.5 feet long. So why did I buy it. cause I love camping out of doors. now that I am semi retired, I can travel somewhere and stay put, living comfortably in the camper. I have looked into being a camp host. One can get free camping and even a monthly salary. I am thinking of Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo
http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/this winter or Anastasia State Park
http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm . I feel privileged that I can retire and travel, even buy an RV.
I also met Paula this summer at Nickerson. She was a camp host so I got lots of info about it and will sign up for 3-4 weeks next year as camp host, but only if I can be in Area 4, the best part of the campground.
I know there will come a time when my Mom needs me and I will have to stay put with her but that will also be a privilege and I will alter my nomadic lifestyle.
the photo is part of my family that camped together at Nickerson State Park. the second one is of the Atlantic Ocean at night.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you find traveling alone somewhat risky? Do you have pepper spray (better wasp spray)?

    ReplyDelete