Monday, August 22, 2011

My Money Pit- 1990 Toyota Dolphin RV


I did not intend to buy an RV this summer. I had thought about expanding my camping horizons so that I may live away from home in relative comfort, without being someone's house guest. When I drove my Buick to New England In June, I knew a few things. one is that I wanted to make this migration annually for a long time to come. Just can't do the atlanta heat. I also wanted to pull into a ubiquitous Walmart parking lot and stay the night while en route. I also want to stay about a month in various state or national parks in relative comfort.

So John, who is Ed's cousin bought a toyota travel van in May, 2011. I was interested as Toyota is a reliable vehicle. On Craigs list I found a toyota dolphin listed for sale in Warwick, RI- excellent condition. That was a lie as there was extensive water damage but the price was cheap and I felt that this RV needed to be rescued from this Ralph person who sorely neglected it.

So 2 months and much money and time later, the Dolphin is ready to head south. It has had a real makeover thanks to Billy and John, who reluctantly provided help. to clarify, John really didn't want to start, thinking it was a Pandora's box. he did take it on to help me out and was really helpful. could not have done it without him. It was hot and frustrating but it was OK. I am learning about RVs which is all new to me. It really was like buying another home on wheels and doing a fix up.

So now I am cleaning and putting in dishes, pots and pans and silverware. you know, being Susie homemaker instead of Susie Fix it. John put in a back up video which is really great. It goes on in reverse to show everything in back of you , otherwise it is a mirror. I am still discovering things. I got my ipod player going and discovered speakers in the camper as well as the truck. also there is a CB player. I turned it on, never having used one before and said, Hello, I am trying to get this to work, anybody there. and some guy answered. yes, i'm here. I was totally surprised. I have a little sign on the back of the camper that says ch 19 so maybe I will get a few interesting calls to help fill in the long hours spent driving. also, if i run into trouble and my phone doesn't work, I can put out a call for help.

so ends the story of my impulsive purchase. I have 7K into it now and the possibilities for improvements keep popping up. like new tires and a solar panel to charge the coach battery. It will be my money pit for a while to come. just have to enjoy the heck out of it to make it all worthwhile. Come, visit and take a ride.

3 comments:

  1. If you decide to sell , let me know. Looking for a V-6 auto trans. terryregennitter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete