Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thoughts on my gear

It must be July 10th.  - my gear
Sitting here drinking a cup of hot chocolate and planning my day.  I woke up to late to get out on the water to kayak.  the sun is hot though it may cloud up as rain is predicted.  Today I will ride my bike to area 7 (about 5 miles) to swim and hike. 

I have been thinking about my gear.  I am doing car and trailer camping and want to be self sufficient except for food for 24 days, so I have a lot of gear and I love it all. 
My vintage trailer is my first love.  Manufactured in 1950, it is still going strong.  She doesn't look beautiful but works just fine sort of like me.  7 years ago she got a new canvas tent with waterproof floor, new electrical, new tires, new stabilizer legs .  I love to fix up old things, especially the trailer  that belonged to my mom and dad.  her dimensions are 4 by 8 feet so she pulls like a charm behind my little corolla with no wind resistance.  She has an accordion cover that lets you pack on lots of stuff(as I am expecting my family I have sleeping gear for 5 and eating gear for 11) 
I also brought 2 bikes, one canoe/kayak and lots of my books and instructional material, including computer, spanish language stuff, my guitar and guitar books. 

Restaurants here are crowded and super expensive so we cook all our meals.  So I have a pantry with posts and pans and 2 stoves that run off a large propane tank. 

My neighbors have some incredible gear.  Some come in Taj Mahal trailers.  the russians camp and know how to put up great tarps that cover the kitchens and provide shade and rain protection. 

I seem to have a little visiter while writing this  He/she ( how does one determine the sex of a chipmunk ) is really adorable. Oh well, she has also discovered my cocoa and has just taken a drink, a brazen chipmunk so she must be female  I am happy to share my cocoa.  Judging from the tracks, my nocturnal visiter last night was also a chipmunk  They are a lot easier to deal with than raccoons as they can't open the coolers. 

I guess I have a lot of  stuff because I am living here.  This is a health retreat for me.  I want to get away from the fast pace and luxuriate in the slow. I want to exercise a lot and eat moderately and get stronger. 
Peace and love to you all
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment