Thursday, July 8, 2010

Settling into life at the Cape

July 7, 2010
My first day at the Cape

This is a big deal for me.  I envisioned spending a long time here, enjoying this wonderful bit of nature.  And so I retired from my job, made reservations at Nickerson State Park in MA  for 24 days and here I am.  

I am soooo happy to be here.  After i set up camp it was late but I had to go down for a swim at Cliff Pond.  The water was like a soft caress.  It was a comfortable temperature.  And I was so happy.  I love you Cliff Pond.  

I have brought CliffIda, named after Cliff and Ida Stone, my parents.  CliffIda is a 1950 vintage trailer.  7 years ago it was a sad thing sitting in the back yard.  John and I decided to fix it up, and now it is just perfect.  I will post a photo of my Mom by the trailer, taken in the 60's. 

I have to say that I am proud of myself.  I didn't know that I could do it but wanted to give it my best shot.  Doing the maintenance on the trailer, driving it down here and setting it up by myself was a big deal for me.  But now I know I can do it and am confident of future trips.  I don't want to be a helpless person when it comes to doing handy, mechanical tasks.  I am my father's daughter and like him, I love to fix things and love the outdoors.  

So, I bought a boat in NY state.  It is wonderful because it is so light, I can just pick it up and walk with it or put it on the roof rack and away we go.  
It is a perfect boat for a woman .  It weighs all of 15 pounds and is made of Kevlar so it is strong.  It is a canoe/kayak, open but you use a double paddle.  

Got a boat, got 2 bikes (one to lend) got 2 good legs for hiking, got a song in my heart and a smile on my lips.  

I'll write again from the Cape
love
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment