Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Christmas Season, 2011 on the Road with Crazy, my 1990 Toyota Dolphin






photo 1 The Dolphin and I at Julie's lot in Gainesville, FL
photo 2 my campsite at Little Talbot State Park, Jacksonville, FL
photo 3 the beach at little talbot. It went on for miles and notice not one human being
photo 4 Hike in woods at KIng George State Park, FL
photo 5 night time at the Okefenokee state park, Waycross, GA

This a the maiden voyage with my Toyota Dolphin. It is a time to try things out like water and electric, all new to me as I have always been a tent camper. It is a time of finding my way and exploring new areas in Georgia and Florida, during the winter months.

It's 6pm on Dec 15, 2011 and pitch dark here at High Falls State Park.
http://georgiastateparks.org/HighFalls I discovered this place while talking to a woman at a party and thought I would try it out. What can I say, it is a treasure and only 44 miles south of my home in Atlanta.
I am taking a week to travel with my Toyota Dolphin who I have named "Crazy" because I was crazy to buy it, crazy to put lots of money into it. Right now I am feeling crazy about "Crazy". I loved pulling into a lovely wooded site on the banks of a river and in 5 minutes have it all set up. Just put in the plug for electricity, hooked up the water and switched the fridge from gas to electric. Had a lovely dinner of lentil loaf, salad, and beans which I heated up in the microwave. After dinner I took a walk and bike ride and noticed how happy I was feeling. Just being outdoors really makes me feel good. I have no reservations which is not necessary in Dec, just ideas of where I want to go. I will put away any concept of schedule.
In the morning I will sit by the river to meditate, take another walk and then hit the road on my way to Gainesville, FL. I get 15 miles to the gallon which is not great nor is it too bad.
I will definitely come back here and camp frequently. Having Crazy, has opened up a new door for me, winter camping. I have a heater if I need it. I have hot water as well but will probably make use of the campground shower and conserve my gas. so these are my thoughts about High Falls State Park in Jackson, GA.
there is no phone service and no internet service. but that is ok, I have books to read and a uke to play.

Dec 16
O"Leno State park, is 40 miles NO of Gainesville. http://www.floridastateparks.org/oleno/default.cfm It is the kind of campground I like, heavily wooded with large sites. Coming out of the camper at night, I see the starred sky between the trees. Beside my camper there is a monster tree. Can't help to think of the CRUSH if it should fall. It is dark at 6pm so I have a roomy evening to read, write and play my uke. I am thinking that I like nature more than I do people, although I for sure need both in my life. Humans are often fickle were Nature is straight on.
Dec 17, 18
Spent the morning riding bike and then on to Gainesville. With my handy GPS,
I easily find Julie's place. She is at her house site where she will soon have a house built. She sublets an apartment across the street and spends lots of time, cleaning out brush from her acreage and planting native plants. we go for a bike ride and then to a contra dance. in the am, we go to the Advent service at her church and afterwards, I visit a new friend I met at the Southern Dharma. We go to a Buddhist Service together, and a walk. I will be back to visit friends and dive with the manatee.
Dec 19,
Last summer in Gouldsboro, ME I met a woman who spoke about Anastasia state park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm I went there today and got a campsite. A very long wooden walkway brought me down to the beach, where I walked a long distance and saw all kinds of seabirds and their fledglings. Some of the birds had long orange and black beak and looked tropical. Why do the good looking birds and people attract us while we pass by the gray birds and and so so looking people. They are all wonderful, yes.
I wished I could stay longer at Anastasia which has been one of the drawbacks of this trip: too much to see and do in too little time. Next time I will go to fewer places and or stay longer.
Dec 20
On to Little Talbot state park which is east of Jacksonville.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/littletalbotisland/default.cfm I have never been there before and had to pass through historical St Augustine which was really beautiful. I was traveling to Jacksonville to see John's brother so had to go into Jacksonville, and then on to Little Talbot. But the city. I hate riding through the city. I am happy to spend all my time at the campsite. That is good as I wish to leave my camper and get around by bike. I can't travel too far that way. I have been cooking most of my meals. I passed a huge farm and stopped at their roadside veggie stand. They had cauliflower and broccoli big enough for a family of 4 to eat for a week. and the oranges and tangelos, yum. South georgia and florida are our food baskets.
Dec 21
Woke this morning and explored Little Talbot. Took my bike onto the beach and rode and rode. I have never done that before and it really is so much fun. The beach went on for miles and I never saw another person. These waters are the birthing ground for right wales and lots of birds nest here in sept and oct. I look forward to coming back here with my canoe/kayak as there are navigable inland water ways. Went to the Kingsley plantation at Fort George, an island close to Little Talbot. It is supposed to be the oldest plantation in Florida. What is unusual is that the Kingsleys were black. When FL was under Spanish rule, blacks could own slaves and property. So they had several plantations raising cotton, citrus, indigo and rice. If a slave worked indigo he had only 7 years to survive before death took him. In drying the powdered indigo, it got into their lungs so their fate was similar to a coal miner before they used protection. When spain lost control of FL in 1821, the US enacted harsh laws restricting the right of all persons of color. Anna Kingsley moved to Haiti, a free Black republic. Zephaniah Kingsley, her husband, died at age 24.


Dec 22,
will travel back to Atlanta now as I need to be home to make a salad for lots of folks for a 90th birthday for Mamita. It has been a fast trip but good in many ways. I discovered that I really love RVing. And I want to come back and explore Little Talbot and Anastasia as well as the inland waterways during the manatee time which is Dec through Feb. Of course I would also like to scuba dive which means driving down to the Keys.
I still have not stayed at a Walmart parking lot. Due to the high gas bill for an RV, I will need to occasionally offset the expense, by staying for free in my RV. I do make all my meals which I prefer and save money that way. When you travel a lot, as I want to , it is not a vacation but a way of living. Being a frugal person, I will find ways of having the best time, spending the least. Stayed at crooked river State Park, st Marys. GA http://georgiastateparks.org/CrookedRiver. Not much to say. If I had my kayak, there are some great waterways. I did ride my hybrid bike through several trails. So much fun
Dec 23
Home by way of the Okefenokee, and stayed right on the water at http://georgiastateparks.org/LauraSWalker. Riding my bike through the woods, I scared up about 10 wild turkeys. Thank god they were spared from the Christmas platter.

1 comment:

  1. Sue this is so amazing to see and read. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with me. Can't wait to see and talk to you again. Hope your holidays were safe and peaceful. From the sound of it, it was.
    You take care my friend and keep writing so I can follow you and your dreams.
    Love and best wishes,
    Jill (as if you didin't know LOL)

    ReplyDelete